Senior Applied Scientist
Who we are
Tractable is an Artificial Intelligence company bringing the speed and insight of Applied AI to visual assessment. Trained on millions of data points, our AI-powered solutions connect everyone involved in insurance, repairs, and sales of homes and cars – helping people work faster and smarter, while reducing friction and waste.
Founded in 2014, Tractable is now the AI tool of choice for world-leading insurance and automotive companies. Our solutions unlock the potential of Applied AI to transform the whole recovery ecosystem, from assessing damage and accelerating claims and repairs to recycling parts. They help make response to recovery up to ten times faster – even after full-scale disasters like floods and hurricanes.
Tractable has a world-class culture, backed up by our team, making us a global employer of choice!
We're a diverse team, uniting individuals of over 40 different nationalities and from varied backgrounds, with machine learning researchers and motor engineers collaborating together on a daily basis. We empower each team member to have tangible impact and grow their own scope by intentionally building a culture centred around collaboration, transparency, autonomy and continuous learning.
Research @ Tractable
Our team shapes the technical foundations used across all Tractable products, currently focused on auto insurance and natural disaster recovery. Our mission is to leverage the latest ML research to solve hard science problems necessary to transform the insurance industry (& more). We focus on creating mission-critical AI systems solving some of the trickiest problems in computer vision, and our innovation has already improved the lives of 100,000s of people so far (really). We’re a fun and ambitious team, and looking for someone to join us on our exciting journey!
Auto organization – Who we are & What we do
Our organization is responsible for building products for the automotive industry. We have already built 2 products (Estimating, Review) sold globally to insurers.
Our long-term vision is to build a platform ecosystem that we can leverage to effortlessly build new products and use cases. Our current mission is to create a reliable and safe “virtual” motor appraiser/expert as a service, we can leverage to solve many use cases across the automotive industry. We are doing so, by building high-quality input capture mechanisms for our users, creating a state-of-the-art damage assessment stack for auto damage, or delivering explainable and human-centric decision-making engines.
We are working hand-in-hand with engineering teams to turn our R&D prototypes into mission-critical systems.
What you will do
- As an Applied scientist, you will contribute to the design, development, and improvement of AI/ML models and systems. You will:
- Work with applied scientists, data scientist, software engineers and product partners to design and deliver AI/ML solutions in production at scale.
- Design and develop AI/ML models, workflows and end-to-end pipelines for data preparation, training, deployment, monitoring, etc., and ensure the quality of architecture and design of our ML models and systems.
- Deliver customer-facing and/or underlying AI/ML solutions that empower our platform to provide the best experience for our customers.
What you need to be successful
- Master's in Computer Science, Machine Learning, or related quantitative field. A phD in Computer Science or related fields with a focus on Machine Learning is a strong plus.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine vision (classical methods and deep learning) and information retrieval. Natural language processing is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in building scalable AI/ML models and systems and delivering end-to-end solutions in a production environment.
- Experience programming in Python, C++, or related languages
- Publications at top-tier peer-reviewed conferences or journals or a proven track record of industry innovation in creating novel solutions and advancing the state of the art.
- Experience with machine learning libraries and deep learning frameworks (TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.)
- Experience with end-to-end software development and life cycle of machine learning solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts and solutions to all levels of the organization
What’s in it for you
Generous financial reward for your effort
- Generous equity package
- 23 days paid annual leave + bank holidays
- Ability to work from abroad for up to 6 weeks/year
- Competitive maternity + paternity leave
- Flexible hours and hybrid working
- Leave to support you when you need it, including sick pay, compassionate leave, or paid time-off to recharge after an intense work period
- Mental health and career coaching through Sanctus
- Free annual Headspace subscription
- L&D budget to use on Learnerbly (our learning platform)
- Meal vouchers
At Tractable, we are committed to building a diverse team and inclusive workplace where people’s varied backgrounds and experiences are valued and recognised.
We encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and offer equal opportunities without discrimination.