Software Engineer - Mississauga
Mississauga, Canada (onsite - local candidates only)
Focal Systems is the industry leader in retail AI solutions. We are a Silicon Valley based startup (with operations in Canada) that has more than doubled in size every year since inception. We are a Deep Learning first company. Our mission is to automate and optimize brick and mortar retail using deep learning computer vision. Focal Systems has been deployed at scale with the top retailers in the world. We are looking for smart, creative and passionate people who want to help build a great and enduring company and deploy Deep Learning to the world!
You’re a self-starter and enjoy taking ownership. You can effectively manage tasks, projects, and problem-solve. You’re a dynamic engineer who is an effective communicator and enjoys an environment of collaboration. You want to have a big impact and like to push trends in infrastructure.
What you will do
• Work on RPi and Arduino for new product ideas
• Design and implement backend endpoints
• Work with our engineering teams to understand their backend needs and ensure data persists in usable formats for front-end, middleware, diagnostics, and Deep Learning
• Build deployment monitoring tools
What you need to be successful
• 8+ years professional experience with 4+ years’ experience in software engineering role
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in CS, EE or equivalent
• Excellent programming skills in Python and C++
• Experienced with containerization (Docker) and orchestration platforms (Swarm, Kubernetes)
• Great understanding of SQL, KeyValue stores, networking, distributed systems, operating systems, data structures, algorithms, and software engineering practices
• Experience with RPi and Arduino a plus
• Experience with Camera Systems a plus
Why Focal Systems
Strong Values and Mission: We are a tightly-knit team with an ambitious mission and a strong set of core values, which define our approach to business and have successfully guided us since inception.
Exceptional Team: We are a team of hard-working, fun-loving professionals from some of the most eminent universities, research labs, and tech companies of our time. We pride ourselves on recruiting exceptional individuals to help us redefine the state-of-the-art.
Outstanding Partners: We work with 10+ of the largest retailers in the world and have a world-class roster of investors, advisors and partners to support & advise us in our endeavors.
What we offer
We care deeply about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of all of our employees. We offer:
• Competitive Salary & Attractive Stock
• Catered lunches
• Paid Time Off
• Quarterly Team Retreats
• Education grants