Director of Legal
Constructor.io powers product search and discovery for some of the largest retailers in the world, like Sephora and Backcountry, serving billions of requests every year. We differentiate ourselves by focusing on metrics over features, and reinventing search and discovery from the ground up as a machine learning challenge with the specific goal of improving metrics like revenue. We have grown several hundred percent YoY for the last 2 years and have customers in every eCommerce vertical, around the world, and spanning many languages.
We’re a passionate team of technologists who love challenges and want to make our customers’ and coworkers’ lives better. We value empathy, openness, curiosity, continuous improvement, and being driven by metrics that matter. We believe that empowering everyone in a company to do what they think is best can lead to great things.
Constructor.io is a rapidly growing software company that powers search and discovery for some of the largest e-commerce retailers in the world.
We're looking for a business-minded attorney, with experience in the tech and SaaS industries, who will act as a legal generalist for a high-growth technology company. You'll be our first in-house Legal hire, and will work closely with other internal business teams and leadership across the company. You'll supervise our Contracts and Procurement Process, manage our use of external counsel, and partner with our leadership team to build a robust legal function and framework.
The ideal candidate excels at identifying risk, problem solving, and partnering with the business to make decisions amidst ambiguity. This role is perfect for a fast-moving attorney who can work within a team and who has had substantive exposure to a broad range of transactional and corporate matters. In this role, you will report to our COO.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance to our executive leadership team on a wide range of legal issues, including business contracts, employment and equity law, data security, IP, corporate governance, tax matters, and international expansion
- Negotiate, draft, and review contracts, with the support of our COO, CISO and CRO
- Anticipate and proactively identify potential legal issues or risk; partner with leadership and internal teams to develop legal strategies and solutions
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies
- Draft, review, and approve policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other legal documents
- Advise technical and corporate leadership on issues related to intellectual property, data protection and ownership, security, and other relevant areas as needed
- Assist in M&A and financing transactions as they come up, including negotiating confidentiality, transition services, and other agreements, managing due diligence, and assisting in all areas of deal planning and execution
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience, ideally a combination of law-firm and in-house or start-up experience
- Exposure to, and ideally expertise in, in a wide array of legal areas, including corporate governance, financing, data security and IP, equity, employment law, and compliance
- Strong negotiator who operates well in ambiguous and fast paced environments
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong relationships cross-functionally, including with business, finance, and technical stakeholders
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and operate under pressure
- Willingness to wear multiple hats with shifting priorities and work on projects of all types
- Thrives in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Member of one or more U.S. state bar associations
At Constructor.io we are committed to cultivating a work environment that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome individuals of all backgrounds and provide equal opportunities to all applicants regardless of their education, diversity of opinion, race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or affiliation in any other protected group.